Speech-language therapist at the Neurological Rehabilitation Centre in Bilbao
Have been working with the RSCJ since very early in my career. I am a member of the multidisciplinary team at the Outpatient Brain Injury Rehabilitation Unit of the Aita Menni Hospital in Bilbao. As a speech-language therapist, I treat individuals with speech and/or language disorders due to acquired brain injury.
I consider that my job with people who have communication difficulties is very rewarding. In most cases, the speech-language therapist becomes the patient’s link to their environment, a big support to them.
Regularly, we work in teams at our rehabilitation centre, which has made me value and respect what the different disciplines can contribute to the team and to the comprehensive rehabilitation programmes we offer.
– Diploma in Speech and Language Therapy. Pontifical University of Salamanca. 1993-1996.
My earliest professional experience was with the assistance centre at the university.
– Master’s Degree in Language. Language and Development Institute, Madrid. 1996-1997.
– Course in language and developmental psychopathology. ICSE Foundation, Madrid. 1996-1997.
– Volunteering at the Learning, Speech and Language Unit of the Niño Jesús Hospital, Madrid. April-June 1997.
Courses, conferences, seminars
– Rehabilitation of swallowing disorders in patients with acquired brain damage problem. Astrane, Madrid. May 2005.
– Dysphagic patients: Diagnosis and treatments. Diagnostic methods. Pontifical University of Salamanca. June 2005.
– Neurogenic dysphagia: Assessment and treatments. Aita Menni Hospital, Donostia-San Sebastián. January 2006.
– Dysarthria: Assessment and rehabilitation. Aita Menni Hospital, Donostia-San Sebastián. February 2008.
– 1st Meeting on Speech and Language Therapy and Acquired Brain Injury. Diagnosis and rehabilitation of aphasic patients. ATECE, Vitoria-Gasteiz. April 2008.
– Participation, communication, and learning for all. BJ Adaptaciones, Vitoria-Gasteiz. October 2008.
Co-author. “Intervención logopédica en las alteraciones de la comunicación consecutivas a daño cerebral adquirido,” Boletín de la Asociación Española de Logopedia y Fonoaudiología (AELFA), 1999.
I have been a speech-language therapist at the Outpatient Brain Injury Rehabilitation Unit of the Aita Menni Hospital in Bilbao since September 1998. At present, I perform organisational and supervision tasks in this unit.
I worked in the Teachers Training School, Hearing and Language Department, of the University of Mondragón in Eskoriatza, teaching part of the subject “Rehabilitation for Patients with Hearing and Language Disorders II” from 2006 to 2008.
I take part in the specialist training programmes that the Hospital offers to different groups, from family members and caregivers of individuals with brain injury to professionals who attend courses organised by the College of Physicians of Vizcaya and Guipúzcoa.
Hobbies and interests
I enjoy spending time with my family. I love animals and nature; this is why I live in a natural setting. I like gardening and playing sports; in fact, all my life has revolved around sports. I am a rugby enthusiast, and mountain biking is my favourite holiday activity.