Neuropsychologist at the Inpatient Unit of the Brain Injury Service
My work consists in studying the neuropsychological (emotional, behavioural and cognitive) disorders associated with acquired brain injury to develop custom treatments that help improve the quality of life of both patients and their families.
Helping people who have difficulties functioning in daily life is a privilege. Learning about different disorders and realities is a professional and personal challenge to me. Finally, working together with other members in our team towards the same goal gives me the chance of sharing, questioning different aspects of my job, and advancing my career.
I provide specialist neuropsychological assessment, develop cognitive rehabilitation plans for individuals and groups, and apply programmes using behaviour modification techniques and cognitive-behavioural methods (social skills training, psycho-education, stress management). Along with other members of our team, I offer support to the patients’ families too.
In addition to the clinical tasks mentioned above, I coordinate the work of the speech-language therapy and occupational therapy areas, and I take part in various training programmes.
- Psychologist. University of Deusto. 1997-2002.
- Master’s Degree in Clinical Psychology. University of Deusto. 2002-2004.
- Postgraduate course in Clinical Neuropsychology. ISEP Formación. 2006-2007.
- Diploma of Advanced Studies (PhD programme). University of Deusto. 2003-2004.
- N. Mimentza, A. Jiménez, and J.I. Quemada. “Abordaje conductual de alteraciones comportamentales en el daño cerebral adquirido,” Informaciones Psiquiátricas, 187(1), 2007, 5-18.
- J.I. Quemada Ubis, N. Mimentza, A. Jiménez, and I. Sánchez Cubillo. “Tratamientos no farmacológicos de las alteraciones conductuales en el daño cerebral,” in Avances en neuropsicología clínica, Madrid, Fundación Mapfre Medicina, 2006, 275-299.
- Master’s Programme in Mental Health and Psychological Treatments. Professor. University of Deusto. 2007-present.
- Master’s Programme in Gerontology. Professor. University of Deusto. 2008-2010.
Courses, conferences, seminars
- 3rd National Neuropsychology Conference. FANPSE. Oviedo. 2010.
- Advances in traumatic brain injury treatment: Approaching behavioural disorders. Guttmann Institute, Barcelona. 2010.
- Family and brain damage. Beata María Ana Hospital, Madrid. 2010.
- Advances in the study of anosognosia & principles of neuropsychological rehabilitation ten years later. Donostia-San Sebastian. 2009.
- 3rd Workshop of the Basque-Navarre Society of Neuropsychology, “Children Neuropsychology.” University of the Basque Country, Donostia-San Sebastian. 2009.
- 6th Workshop of the Spanish Neurorehabilitation Society, “What is Neuropsychological Rehabilitation? Outcome measurement in neuropsychological rehabilitation.” Barcelona. 2008.
- Dysarthria: Assessment and rehabilitation. Seminar. Bilbao. 2008.
- Neuropsychological rehabilitation in patients with brain injury: A practical approach. Seminar. Bilbao. 2008.
- Prefrontal cortex: From research to intervention. Bilbao. 2007.
- Course in Psychopathology. Madrid. 2007.
- Brief and short-term psychotherapy targeted at PTSD in neuropsychiatric patients. Course. Bilbao. 2007.
- 1st International Conference, “Advances in Clinical Neuropsychology.” Madrid. 2006.
- “Assessment and cognitive rehabilitation programmes for patients with language impairments.” Seminar. Bilbao. 2005.
- Behaviour and the frontal lobe. Seminar. Bilbao. 2004.
As an undergraduate student, I started working as a leisure time instructor for children and psychiatric patients.
During my Master’s studies at the University of Deusto, I worked as a clinical psychologist in areas such as psychiatry and geriatric psychology.
Since October 2004, I have been working at the Inpatient Unit of the Brain Injury Service of the Aita Menni Hospital in Mondragón.
Hobbies and interests
I enjoy meeting people from different cultures, speaking and spending time with people form other countries. Whenever I can, I pack my luggage and board a plane with friends. I try to work out as often as the weather permits. Besides, I do volunteer work at several social organisations.