Head of Physiotherapy Services
I have been working at the Aita Menni Hospital since 1995, when physiotherapy services were not fully established yet at the Brain Injury Service. My job gives me the chance to get involved in activities that have always inspired me, like helping disabled people and learning more about how the central nervous system works.
In 1997 I was appointed Head of Physiotherapy Services. I enjoy being part of multidisciplinary teams and working close to people who seek to attain common goals in a great friendly environment. In the past years, an outpatient clinic was established in Bilbao that offers outpatient and at-home multidisciplinary rehabilitation services, and two day care centres were set up in Donostia-San Sebastián and Bilbao.
I am a physiotherapist specialising in neurorehabilitation and a Bobath therapist. I have written articles for specialist journals and participated as a speaker in workshops and conferences on physiotherapy and brain injury. Also, I am a tutor of undergraduate students of Physiotherapy III in several university health centres.
- Diploma in Physiotherapy. Autonomous University of Barcelona. 1991-1994.
- “Fisioterapia neurológica,” Trasko, Spanish Physiotherapy Society, Delegation in the Basque Country, 2001.
- Interview, El fisioterapeuta, Spanish Physiotherapy Society, May 2002.
- Editorials and articles about a physiotherapeutic approach to acquired brain damage, specialist magazine Elkarberri, College of Physiotherapists of the Basque Country.
- Coordinator of “La Fragua” seminars on physiotherapy. Brain Injury Service, Aita Menni Hospital. 2001-2004.
- Tutor of Physiotherapy III students at clinical practices. Brain Injury Service, Aita Menni Hospital (Arrasate-Mondragón) and Neurorehabilitation Centre (Bilbao). University School of Health Sciences, University of Vic (Barcelona). 2005-present.
- Head of ongoing learning programmes for physiotherapists in clinical practices. Brain Injury Service, Aita Menni Hospital (Arrasate-Mondragón) and Neurorehabilitation Centre (Bilbao). 1997-present.
- Physiotherapy for patients with Parkinson’s Disease. Speaker. World Physiotherapy Day: “Serving the community.” Basque Physiotherapy Association and Basque Association for Parkinson’s Disease. Bilbao. September 2006.
- Geriatric assessment: Assessment for detection; detection for intervention. Speaker. 7th Conference of Zahartzaroa, Basque Society of Geriatrics and Gerontology. Vitoria-Gasteiz. May 2008.
- Master’s Programme in Gerontology. Professor. University of Deusto. Bilbao. 2008-2009.
- Course for caregivers of patients with neurological disorders. Lecturer. Lantegi Batuak. Bilbao. October 2010.
- Physiotherapy for cystic fibrosis. World Physiotherapy Day: “Serving the community.” Basque Physiotherapy Association and Basque Cystic Fibrosis Association. Bilbao. September 2010.
- Head of Physiotherapy Services at the Brain Injury Service (inpatients) of the Aita Menni Hospital (Arrasate-Mondragón) and the Neurorehabilitation Centre (Bilbao). 1997-present.
- Head of Physiotherapy Services at the Brain Injury Service of the Aita Menni Day Care Centre (Donostia-San Sebastián). 2008-present.
- Supervisor of Physiotherapy Services at the Bekoetxe Day Care Centre for people with neurological injury (Bilbao). Aita Menni Hospital. Vizcaya Provincial Government. 2002-present.
- Supervisor of Physiotherapy Services at the Lurgorri Day Care Centre for people with neurological injury (Guernica). Aita Menni Hospital. Vizcaya Provincial Government. 2009-present.
- Physiotherapist at the Jesús Zelaia Function Recovery and Sports Medical Centre. 2004-2007.
- Physiotherapist at Asegarce (Basque pelota company). 1996-1999.
Hobbies and interests
I enjoy walking along the beach or in the mountains, travelling, and spending time with my friends and family. I watch and do all kinds of sports. I cooperate with public institutions in managing or training tasks in the field of physiotherapy.
- Member of the Spanish Physiotherapy Society, the Spanish Neurorehabilitation Society, and the Spanish Bobath Therapy Association.
- President of the College of Physiotherapists of the Basque Country and the Spanish Physiotherapy Association in the Basque Country. 2002-present.
- Member of the Steering Committee of the Spanish Physiotherapy Association in the Basque Country. 2006-present.
- Member of the General Council of Spanish Physiotherapy Associations. 2010-present.